Wednesday, October 25, 2006

My Two Nieces Playing The Qin Made by Bright

My friend, Bright, loaned me his qin for 3 days. I carried it to my twin sister's home in Xin-chu to practice. Sophia's home is more quiet than father's home. I can really feel the qin quality and its personality. This is the first qin made by Bright. He spent one year and 4 months to finish it. Mr. Lin Li-zhen 林立正 is his teacher. Bright first learned qin playing and qin making from Mr. Chen Hui-de 程惠德 2 years ago. The first qin he made was supervised by Master Lin Li-zhen. The upper board is Shan wood 杉木(China fir) and the bottom wood is Zhang wood 樟木(champhorwood). The form of this qin is Fu Xi Style 伏羲式. According to Bright, Master Lin only make two kinds of qin form, Zhong Ni Style 仲尼式 and Fu Xi Style. I like this qin a lot. The high tone is so beautiful and the lacquer work has a very natural appearance.

Since I had a qin with me, I let Sophia's daughters try to play it. I did not really teach them how to play but they saw my playing and therefore, when they sit in front of the qin, they knew how to position their little hands. I wish I can teach them. I am very glad that I took these photos.