Friday, October 16, 2015

Meet Theresa from California



10/16/2015 meet Theresa Wong (黃天欣 ) from California. She reminds me of Jun Wang, a friend from SF, they looked alike. My mother's English name is also very similar to Theresa Wong, so I have special impression to this visiter. Theresa is a cellist, composer, vocalist, and Multi instrumentalist.  We talked about how I become interested in the Guqin. I explained a little bit of Qin tablature to her and played Xiao Xiang for her. She recognized this piece from my CD that I had recorded 9 years ago. 9 years ago I was playing metal string, but now I am playing silk string and I play xiao xiang differently now. 

She was touching the qin in front of her and talked a little bit about her partner's experimental music work which was making a room as an instrument itself. Theresa used the qin as a proportion example that people in that room is like very small things next to the guqin.  She said her partner uses very thin bronze and steel strings to create sound. Both strings have same thickness, but create two tones that is about 3 degrees difference, such as mi to do. 

Theresa used her right middle finger to pluck the string at the same time creating harmonics by using her right thumb touches the string. She likes the two tones sliding sound that happened while sliding. It is caused by one side of the string that is longer and the other side of the string is shorter from the pressing down point. I did not know what caused the two tones until today, although I always hear them while playing. 

We talked about improvisation, my composed pieces...

Time goes too fast, 2pm to 4pm just went by. I walked her to Rahway train station and we talked more about singing practicing. I hope I can learn singing soon. But I do not want to learn opera singing or pup music singing. I want to be able to really sing with my nature voice and with qin playing... 

(I am glad I still have things I want to do... learning qin making and learning singing.) 

Very nice to meet a new friend from different field but has similar interests ... music, and the guqin...